Tomorrow is Canada Day. I have a great post planned, as part of my Crafting my Life series, with a definite Canadian flavour. It will be awesome. But today I wanted to take a little time aside from that to celebrate this land that I call home. So today I offer you some of the things that I think are awesome about being Canadian:
Photo credit: Ian Muttoo on Flickr
- Year-long paid maternity leave. While our system is not perfect, on the whole it’s really pretty good, and quite competitive, internationally speaking. I am so grateful that I was able to access it.
- Roch Voisine. He is made of awesome. Need I say more? No, I need not.
- Dill pickle potato chips. And ketchup potato chips. These are classic flavours people!
- The letter zed. You know, it, it comes right after X and Y. And when you sing the alphabet that way, or read American children’s books that way, the rhymes don’t work. But we like it.
- The Log Driver’s Waltz. To know it is to love it.
- French on our packaging. Reading cereal boxes as a child is how I learned such useful words and phrases as gratuit and moins de sel. I might not be bilingual, but I can speak cereal box French with the best of them.
- Canada is freaking huge, eh. There may not be many of us, and we might not be a superpower, but we’ve got space, and that’s something.
- Canada Day cake. I finally had some. In fact, I had 3 pieces. It was as good as I hoped.
- Curling. It’s not our national sport, but we’re pretty good at it. And it is the most oddly engrossing sport I have ever watched. Although, sadly, the Norwegians did manage to one-up us in the curling pants department.
- Me. I am a pretty awesome Canadian, if I do say so myself.
So, tell me, what do you think is awesome about Canada? And also, happy Canada Day!
PS – As you may know, I have started including a link-up with my monthly reviews. The reviews are an informal listing of a few things I learned in the past month. My June review will go live at 6am Pacific on Friday, July 2. If you want to play along, write a post on or before July 2, come here, and link up. I have a feeling this is going to be fun!