Monthly reviews are one of my favourite traditions. Here’s how it works – every month I come up with some things I learned, and not always the easy way. Then, I ask you all to join in with some recent revelations of your own. And we all learn and grow and what-not. Or at least share a laugh at our own expense, because some of these lessons are both hard-fought and funny. Sound good?
So, without further ado, here are some things that I learned in June.
June Monthly Review
1. I learned that Instagram is totally awesome. Downloading the app has brought more mindfulness into my daily life, and I’m smitten.
One of my photos from Instagram (I’m AmberStrocel)
2. When the power went out for a couple of hours one night, I found that even if I know the lights are out, I will still automatically try to turn them on every time I enter a dark room. Decades of habit don’t just vanish when the electricity fails.
3. I re-discovered the joys of strawberry season. Homemade strawberry ice cream! Chocolate-filled strawberries! Strawberry sundae sauce!
Strawberries at the farmers’ market
4. My whole family celebrated the end of another school year. We made it, and the early mornings are over for the summer!
5. I re-learned the joys of wading in a creek on a warm summer day.
I couldn’t resist this creek
6. I discovered the sweetness of getting the art supplies out of my kitchen when Hannah got her own desk in her room. I can cook without stepping in piles of glitter, and it rocks!
7. I watched my daughter sing for her whole school at the talent show, and I found out that it’s far more anxiety-provoking to watch your kid get up in front of a room full of people than it is to get up there yourself. Or, at least, it is for me. (PS – She did great.)
Hannah dressed as Annie for the talent show
9. I re-learned the hard way that three-year-olds and restaurants just don’t always mix that well.
Jacob was still for just long enough for me to shoot this photo
10. I found out that, yet again, I can’t successfully grow melons. Sigh.
What did you learn in June? Please share! If you’d like to play along by writing a review post of your own, link to it in the comments!